At the end of your paper is a comprehensive, list of all of the sources you cited in your paper. This reference list (or works cited) is numbered, with the numbers corresponding to the in-text superscript numeral that you assigned to that source. For example, in-text citation 1 will correspond to reference 1 in your reference list,in-text citation 2 will correspond to reference 2, and so on.
The list is NOT ordered by author last name like in other citation styles like APA or MLA. Each item in the reference list is formatted according to the AMA style guidelines.
For more information on formatting your reference list, please consult Chapter 3 of the AMA Manual of Style (11th Ed.).
Example Reference List
- Florez HR, Martinez RL. Outdoor exercise reduces the risk of hypovitaminosis D in the obese. J Steroid Biochem Mol Bio. 2007;103(3-5):679-681. doi:10.1016 /j.jsbmb.2006.12.032
- Bowden F. Gone Viral: The Germs that Share Our Lives. Sydney, Australia: NewSouth; 2011. Accessed May 23, 2017. https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/stkate-ebooks/reader.action?docID=731512&ppg=1
- Carlson SJ. Step up your activity to help lower risk of diabetes. Mayo Clinic website. June 4, 2015. Accessed August 20, 2017. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/expert-blog/lower-diabetes-risk-withactivity/bgp-20142203
Use the follow chart as a reference for formatting the author field in AMA style citations.
|Number of Authors||Citation Formatting|
|1 author||Smith MH.|
|2 authors||Smith MH, Cornell DP III|
|6 authors||Smith MH, Cornell DP III, Sun CR Jr, Berry A Sr, Kim KD, van der Vaart RS.|
|More than 6 authors||Smith MH, Cornell DP III, Sun CR Jr, et al.|
|1 author for or and a group||
Smith MH; Laser ROP Study Group
Smith MH; for Laser ROP Study Group
Smith MH; and Laser ROP Study Group
|More than 6 author for or and a group||
Smith MH, Cornell DP III, Sun CR Jr, et al; Laser ROP Study Group
Smith MH, Cornell DP III, Sun CR Jr, et al; for Laser ROP Study Group
Smith MH, Cornell DP III, Sun CR Jr, et al; and Laser ROP Study Group
|Organization/Group author||National Cancer Institute.|
|Unknown author||Leave field blank and begin citation with title of journal, book, website, etc.|
For titles of journal articles and parts of books, capitalize only:
- The first letter of the first word
- Proper names
- Abbreviations that are normally capitalized
For names of journals:
- Italicize the name
- Use the abbreviated name as cited in the NLM Catalog. Search the NLM Catalog.
For names of books and government bulletins, documents, and pamphlets:
- Italicize the name
- Capitalize the first letter of each major word
- Do not capitalize articles, prepositions of 3 or fewer letters, coordinating conjunctions (and, or, for, nor, but, yet), or the to in infinitives.
- Capitalize a 2-letter verb, such as Is.