Formatting in Microsoft Word
Set the Default Font
- Access advanced font options from Home ribbon.
- Set default font to Times New Roman 12 Point.
Set Double Spacing
- Double Space between lines of the same paragraph.
- Remove excess spacing after each paragraph
Create a Hanging Indent
Highlight the text you wish to indent.
Access your Advanced Paragraph Options.
Select Hanging Indent from the "Indentation: Special" menu.
Insert the Running Head
- Double Click the top of the document to open the Header options
- Select the "Different First Page" option.
- Be sure to fill in your First Page Header (in APA, this includes the words Running head).
Insert First Page Number
- Press the Tab Key on your keyboard until your cursor blinks on the right hand side (usually once or twice).
- Select the Page Number Tool from your Header Design settings.
- Choose "Current Position - Plain Number."
Insert Second (and Subsequent) Page Numbers
- Repeat the same steps as above on the second page, but without the word "Running head:"
- Be sure to use the Page Number Tool, or else it will say 2 on every page.